Academic Grievances & Appeals

If you're an active student, you may appeal academic and student status-related decisions or seek a resolution to complaints and grievances here. Below we've outlined formalized policies and procedures to make grievances, complaints, and appeals simple for you as a University of Denver Student.

Appeal Processes

  • Graduate Grievance and Appeal Process

    Graduate students who would like to seek resolution of complaints or grievances may do so through the Academic Grievance and Appeal Procedure.

    Graduate Academic Appeals Procedure

  • Undergraduate Grievances

    Undergraduates who feel that a policy, practice, or behavior of DU or a staff member can seek resolution through academic Grievances.

    Undergraduate Procedures

  • Undergraduate Grade Appeal Process

    Undergraduate students who would like to appeal a grade must follow the grade appeal procedure, as outlined in the Undergraduate Bulletin.

    Undergraduate Grade Appeal Procedures

Scope of Review

Grade appeals must be based on problems of process and not on differences in judgment or opinion concerning academic performance. The burden of proof rests on the student to demonstrate that one or more of the following occurred:

  • The grading decision was made on some basis other than academic performance and other than as a penalty for academic misconduct.
  • The grading decision was based upon standards unreasonably different from those which were applied to other students in the same course and section.
  • The grading decision was based on an unreasonable departure from previously articulated standards, such as standards defined in the course syllabus.

The chairperson, grade appeal committee, or dean may recommend grade changes but shall have the power to alter grades only in cases of clearly established procedural error or substantial capriciousness or arbitrariness in evaluation.


The formal procedure must be started within 45 calendar days after the contested decision or grade was officially recorded. The grade appeal process officially begins on the date the “Academic Appeal” document is received by the faculty member.

Appeal Record

Any appeal must be in writing, dated and headed with the words “Academic Appeal.” Once a formal appeal is presented to a faculty member, it must be presented in its original form at all later levels of appeal, although new statements may be added at any time.

Any evidence and all direct and supporting statements once made become part of the permanent record of the appeal and must be produced at each level of appeal.

At each level of appeal, a written, dated decision and written reasons for the decision must be provided to the affected party or parties--the student, the faculty member, and any person who has rendered a decision at an earlier level of appeal.

Students are permitted to submit evidence in writing. At the discretion of the University, students may be invited to present their appeal in person.

Undergraduate Appeals Procedure


Eligible Grievance Concerns

These procedures may be used only by active students with the following concerns:

  • A grievance or appeal regarding academic standing during their enrollment at DU.
  • An academic decision made by a faculty or staff member, administrator or committee of the University of Denver that directly and adversely affects the student—e.g., program termination or dismissal, academic suspension, removal from a course, termination of GTA or GRA appointment.
  • The grievance or appeal must be based on problems of process or concerns of bias, retaliation, or other impropriety and not on differences in judgment or opinion concerning academic performance.

Ineligible Concerns

These procedures may not be used to resolve the following concerns:

  • Appeals related to disciplinary actions taken by the Conduct Review Board
  • Grade appeals
  • Admission decisions
  • Appeals or grievances submitted beyond the published timeline