Policies & Procedures

Procedures & Forms

Academic Affairs oversees many of the policies and procedures governing academic life at the University of Denver. Here you'll find breakdowns of how these processes are managed. At the bottom, you can also find a collection of related forms and documentation.

What You Need to Know

Academic Exceptions

Academic policies define institutional standards and help ensure equitable treatment of all students. All students are expected to observe the academic policies and practices of the University set forth in the University Bulletin. However, in instances of documented extraordinary circumstances, a student may request an exception to a policy or practice.

Learn More

Academic Grievances & Appeals

Active students may appeal academic-related decisions or seek resolution of complaints or grievances through procedures supported by Academic Affairs.

Learn More

Academic Standards

In order to graduate from the University of Denver, students must maintain minimum academic standards. A student in good standing has met academic standards and University financial and behavioral obligations. A student in academic good standing has earned a number of grade points equal to at least twice the number of quarter hours attempted (i.e., has a 2.0 cumulative GPA).

Learn More

Withdrawal Procedures

Medical Leave of Absence

A student with a mental or physical health condition may elect to apply for a medical leave of absence from the University. The Medical Leave of Absence and Medical Reentry Policies describe the circumstances under which a student may request a Medical Leave of Absence and the procedures the student must follow. Student Outreach & Support processes medical leave paperwork--click below to learn more.

Student Outreach & Support

Tuition Refund Appeals

You may appeal for an exception to the University refund policy if unusual circumstances exist that are beyond your control. To request a refund, you must officially withdraw from the course prior to beginning the appeals process. You'll have 90 days from the end of the term for which you're requesting the refund. The statute of limitations for an appeal is 90 days from the end of the term in which the course for which the tuition being appealed was offered.

University Bulletins


  • Pass/No Pass Policy
  • Concurrent Degree

    Students interested in completing two bachelor's degrees concurrently (eg. BA and BSBA) should visit an advisor in our office prior to completing this concurrent degree form to understand the necessary requirements. This form must be signed by major advisors and returned to the Registrar's Office on the garden level of University Hall.

  • Declare or Change Major

    To change or declare a major/minor/degree, students will need to complete the Application to Declare or Change Undergraduate Degree/Major/Minor. If students are updating their major or degree, they will need to receive a signature from a departmental advisor, whereas, no signature is required to update minors. Once completed, students need to submit their completed form to the Office of the Registrar in University Hall. Note: Students must have a declared major by the time they have earned 75 credits.

  • Add/Drop Course

    Students should visit the Registrar's website for add/drop deadlines. Any courses dropped after week 1 will result in a W on a transcript. In weeks 1-5 students can drop courses via PioneerWeb. Dropping a course after week 6 requires an instructor's signature on an add/drop form. These forms can be found in the Center for Academic and Career Development underneath the bookstore. Students wanting to add or drop classes after week 8 must go through the Academic Exceptions process.

  • Credit Overload

    Students registering for 20 or 21 credit hours in one quarter need to submit a credit overload form. A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is required for approval. Students should be aware that any credits above 18 result in additional tuition charges. Contact the Bursar's Office for information about tuition and fees.

  • Course Substitution/Waiver

    Students wanting to substitute or waive a course must fill out the course substitution or waiver form with approval from the dean, faculty member, or advisor. Forms should be returned to the Registrar's Office on the garden level of University Hall.

  • Graduate Level Courses for Undergrad Students

    Students in good academic standing can seek permission to take a graduate level course (4000-4999) as an undergraduate. Signatures from the instructor, chairperson, Academic Advising office, and dean's office must be obtained on the request for graduate course as part of the undergraduate degree form before it is returned to the Registrar's Office on the garden level in University Hall.

  • Withdrawal

    Please reference the Withdraw Checklist to insure that you understand the ramifications of withdrawing from the University of Denver for the term.

    Students wishing to withdraw from ALL classes should submit an Request to Withdraw from DU through Pioneer Web. Students should use this form even if they are not registered. Students can find the form in the Student tab of PioneerWeb under the Advising & Registration Tools Box in the upper center part of the page.

  • Re-Entry

    Students returning from a CONDUCT SUSPENSION must also complete a Reentry from Conduct Suspension Form.

    Students returning from an ACADEMIC SUSPENSION must fill out a Reentry from Academic Suspension Form

    All other students should email Michelle Hanson michelle.hanson@du.edu or registrar@du.edu in the Office of the Registrar for further assistance.