Emily A. Saltzman
Assistant Professor, Practice of Social Work, Field Faculty
What I doEmily is a member of the Field Faculty at GSSW, where she is responsible for contributing to the integration of academic coursework and field placement. She does this by performing agency screening, development, and approval for agencies hosting GSSW students. Emily also provides training, supervision, and consultation to field liaisons and off-site supervisors, and mediation, as needed, to facilitate communication and conflict resolution between students and agency field supervisors. In addition, Emily provides field advising to a cohort of incoming students to make sure they are placed at appropriate field sites. Emily also teaches field courses in the MSW@Denver Program in addition to being the faculty advisor for the student-run Queer Equality Alliance.
Community organizing, macro social work practice, anti-oppressive social work practice, field education, collective action and protest, LGBTQ+ professional capacity-building, LGBTQ inclusive sexuality education, intersections of antisemitism, white supremacy, and racism, fat liberation and body positive frameworks
Before joining GSSW, Emily worked in social justice nonprofits focused on connecting community members, organizations, and professionals to comprehensive services and capacity-building opportunities. She has worked in reproductive health, HIV/AIDS Public Policy, community-based social services, and Jewish non-profits all focused on providing a space for folks to share their stories to influence change.
Emily is honored to be part of the GSSW community supporting students in their field experience.
- BA, Psychology and Gender Studies, Lawrence University
- MSW, Community Organizing Planning and Development, Silberman School of Social Work at Hunter College
Licensure / Accreditations
- Licensed Social Worker (LSW)
- ACOSA: Association for Community Organization and Social Administration
- Frank W. Pollatsek Award for Achievement in the Cause of Justice, Silberman School of Social Work at Hunter College
- New York Intra-preneurship Award, Jewish Women's Foundation of New York