Take a Coach Approach Training & Micro-Credential
2-Day Interactive Training
Take a Coach Approach training is facilitated by the Office of Academic Advising and open to any DU faculty or staff who provides individual advising or mentoring support to students. The training is generally offered twice a year, in June and December. Participants must attend both days. Please contact Allison.Weihrauch@du.edu to be added to an interest list for registration outreach.
This two-day interactive training provides DU faculty and staff with effective coaching strategies to help students overcome setbacks, navigate challenges, and achieve their goals. Coaching centers the student as the expert in their own life and supports the development of accountability and self-management. You will build foundational coaching skills, such as asking powerful questions to inspire self-awareness, problem solving, and action.
As a result of completing Take a Coach Approach training, you will be able to:
- Articulate the value of taking a coach approach to working with students
- Demonstrate key components of a coaching conversation
- Implement coaching tools in a variety of scenarios
- Evaluate your personal strengths and challenges as a coach
Micro-Credential & Digital Badge
Participants in the 2-day training may opt-in to the micro-credential program to earn a Take a Coach Approach badge. Earning criteria for this professional development badge includes the following:
- Participant: Complete a 2-day interactive Take a Coach Approach training facilitated by the Office of Academic Advising.
- Application: Facilitate a coaching session with observation and feedback from a staff member in the Office of Academic Advising.
- Assessment: Complete a written project* to be assessed with a rubric on the application of learning objectives to your work with students.
*Earners will produce a Coaching Implementation Plan, including (1) an observed coaching session self-reflection (2) a personal coaching philosophy statement and (3) a plan for application of coaching strategies to their work with students.
DU Micro-credentials and Badges – Please visit this website for more information on DU micro-credentials and badges.
DU Badge Catalog on Credly – Please see this website for a list of badges available at DU.
Allison.Weihrauch@du.edu – Please contact Allison Weihrauch with questions regarding the Take a Coach Approach badge.